Thursday, April 9, 2015

Being Unforgettable in a Forgettable World

You may remember a previous post of mine about meeting the old fashioned way.

I'd gone out with friends for a few drinks and got chatting to a guy, he asked for my number, I gave it to him, he text the next day, we had a date. Then another. Then I didn't hear from him again.

Story of my life really.

Until yesterday. The guy sent me a 'kiss' on RSVP saying he'd like to get to know me. I wasn't sure if he was pulling my leg or not, but I humoured him and said I'd like to hear from him.

Today he sends a message saying hi my name is  *****. How is your week going? Clearly he had no idea who I was and doesn't remember our dates.

Ummm, how could he forget our first date? We had that very awkward taxi moment where he went in for a kiss just as I ducked to get into a taxi...

Great, I'm that chick. The one who is forgettable. I get he might not remember my name, but I'd like to think once he looked at my photos it would all come back to him. But no.

I told a couple of work mates my predicament and they came up with a great idea. It'd been almost 12 months since we'd last seen each other, it takes 9 months for a baby......I could let him know I had a three-month-old who wanted to meet its daddy!

Another colleague also suggested I send him through (a random) photo of a baby! The idea did make me laugh, however we never even kissed, let alone slept together. But hey, if the guy can't remember me, is he going to remember if we'd slept together??

So instead, I replied with Hi I'm Barbara. I get the feeling we've met before......
He replied: Hi Barbra, I get that alot latley. 

(Good thing he can spell my name right, or just spell in general).

So I refreshed his memory. Said we'd been on a few dates, he lived down the road from a well know drinking spot, he liked to go to the movies during working hours and I helped celebrate a friend of his' 40th birthday.

That jogged his memory. Then he tried to tell me he was sick (last time I heard from him) and he quit his job soon after and they took his mobile and credit card off him and he didn't back up his contacts properly.

That's all well and good, but he still had a phone, and my number, the last time we messaged.

But that's all water under the bridge.

I'll keep replying to his messages for as long as he sends them.

But I'm not making any promises. I'm still simultaneously talking to about four or five other guys so I'll keep them all at bay. It's a numbers game afterall :)

No comments:

Post a Comment