Saturday, July 7, 2018

Ours was a great love story

Ours started off as a great love story.

We had all the ingredients for a long, happy, life together. But as the cracks started to appear and our tolerance for each other waned, the writing, inevitably, was on the wall.

I can only tell you my side of the story.

I think because things started off so well I wanted to believe it would continue like that. But, unfortunately it didn't.

You see, my boyfriend thought he only needed to "put in an effort" for the first couple of months. Once he "got me", he didn't think he needed to make an effort anymore.

I thought otherwise and this, I guess, was our undoing.

He was more at home sitting on my couch looking at his phone or watching tv/Netflix rather than going on date nights, weekend drives or just spending time with me.

We used to do all these things, but that all changed.

Of course there was more to it than that, but I'm not getting into the nitty gritty.

We were no longer on the same page. We didn't share the same interests anymore, didn't want to spend our spare time together and it seemed we were more content being by ourselves, rather than with each other.

Those endearing qualities we both loved about each other (or tolerated) at the beginning of our relationship became a thorn in our sides.

A recent holiday to Tasmania was make or break for us. Spending 24/7 with someone really shows you what you're both made of.

Unfortunately we weren't made to be in a relationship with each other.

The impatience he had with me, particularly while we were away, was made more obvious because there was nowhere to escape. We spent just about every moment with each other.

I know he's always been extremely impatient, but it wasn't until that distain was aimed at me all day, every day, did I realise this wasn't the type of relationship I wanted to be in.

And believe me the irony is not lost on me that I ended up with someone who didn't give a shit about manners when he knew how important they were to me.

So we bid farewell and have gone our separate ways.

I won't lie, the first three weeks, particularly, were tough and it's only with the help of my close friends and family that got me through such a shitty time.

But I'll bounce back.

What doesn't break you only makes you stronger, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment